Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /homepages/24/d200014869/htdocs/wp-content/plugins/microkids-related-posts/microkids-related-posts.php on line 645
What is it? Our flash fiction series invites writers to write short pieces in response to photos we post.
How does it work? We’ll supply an image from our photography archive every 3 weeks, and invite writers to respond with flash fiction inspired by the photo, up to 500 words. Each image will be open for submissions for two weeks, and we will take a week for reading and balloting—the top three entries we feel best represent the photo in question will be published on the Midwestern Gothic website.
Round 1 Finalists
Round 2 Finalists
Round 3 Finalists
1. Send submissions/questions to Hannah at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Use the subject line “Summer Flash – Author Name – Name of Piece.” For example: “Summer Flash – Joan Smith – “Eyes of the Wild”
3. Include a third-person bio of up to 150 words with your submission.
4. Either the author or the piece itself should have a Midwest connection.
5. Submissions should be no longer than 500 words—but can be as short as you deem necessary.
6. The submission cycle for each round is three weeks—two weeks to submit, one week for us to select the winners. We will notify the entries during the third week of each round, and post them up on the MG site the following week. Please note: We will only be notifying the winning entries for each round. Apologies in advance for any inconvenience.
7. It may seem obvious, but while you have free reign in your writing, your piece should, in some way, be clearly inspired by the round’s image. If we find pieces ignore this fact, they will be subject to immediate disqualification.
8. Images will be posted at the top of this post, and in separate blog posts as well. When the submission period for a round is ceased, the image will be taken down until the next round begins.